Saturday, March 12, 2011

Adolescents and healthy behavior

As a single mom to a teenage son it is very hard to get him to follow healthy behaviors.  I only buy healthy organic snacks including fruits and vegetables at the house.  And we try to eat at home as much as possible.  Occasionally we will have a junk day and usually he feels bogged down after that day and has realized that the healthy food makes him feel much better.  We have created a workout room at our house and we work out together.  I limit his time on the computer and television. 

For other parents I would encourage you to try to be active with your kids, basketball, frisbee golf, tennis, golf, swimming etc.  I personally hate basketball but my son enjoys it so we go shoot hoops on a regular basis.

I think we need to have a stricter policy on the food that is served to children at school.  It generally is high in fat and sodium.  I think they should take coke machines out of schools as well. 

We also need to encourage more activity at school.  Often times PE is nothing more than kids sitting around talking to each other.  We need some very proactive teachers that make activity fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment