Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blog 5

I interviewed Melissa, a 32 year old mom of 5 children.  Melissa's children are 9, 8, 4, and twins 3.  She knew she wanted a big family when she was a teenager.  Her and her husband do not believe in birth control.  Because of her pregnancies being so close together and so hard on her body she had to have a hysterectomy after the twins.  After many health problems and marital problems, Melissa is now a single mother.  She often thinks life would be easier without 5 children, but she does love them all the same.  Right now she is a full time student, and works part time, and is living off child support, PELL Grant, Food Stamps, and CCMS (free daycare).

I personally feel that she is not working hard enough and should try to get off of all of the support.  I know when I left my husband with 2 small children (5yrs and 6months)  I never considered living off of welfare.  It was my choice to leave and I had to survive on my own with out welfare, and i did and still do.  Children need to see their parents work for something and not get things for free.  I think a lot of people on welfare have it pretty easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment